Thursday, October 24, 2013

The Joys of Trick of Treating

I have been eating healthier for over 4 months now and there are times when (despite the number on the scale) I have wondered if this is all worth it.  I get discouraged by the snails pace I have lost weight - especially when folks come up to me and tell me how they lost 15 pounds in a month.  It's a great week for me if I lose an entire pound!  My clothes fit better and I actually have a waist now...still a belly - that's not going anywhere, but at least a waist.  I needed a reinforcement that the good I am doing goes beyond what I can physically see.

I got it this weekend.

Every year there is a big Halloween celebration at the campgrounds where we have our RV.  Each year we bring my granddaughter with us so she can have a little early Halloween fun.  My husband has bad knees, so I have been the one to walk around the campgrounds with her to collect the goodies given out by our fellow campers during Trick or Treat time.

Campgrounds.  As in gravel or dirt roads.  Hills.  Lots of hills.  It is not an easy walk for anyone out of shape.

She and I have walked each year, but we've never done the ENTIRE campgrounds.  Oh we've come close and last year it nearly killed me.  I was pretty much toast for hours afterwards, and felt it the next day too.. 

Now that she is 7, I knew she would be up for the challenge to go by every single camper and every single cabin and she would be walking at a faster pace.   Was I ready to keep up with her?

You bet.  In fact, it wasn't until we had our trailer in sight on the return that I realized I had probably walked enough without resting.  I sat down once we got back, had a lean hamburger and water, and within 5 minutes didn't even feel like I had done any exercise.  I was fine.  The only thing that hurt was my arm from the flu shot the day before.  I wasn't out of breath - ever - during the walk.  This was huge for me...and I attained it by simply eating better.

Weight Lost This Week:   0.8 lbs.
Total Weight Lost:          17.4 lbs.

No comments:

Post a Comment